This blend of fresh summer strawberries, rhubarb and tangy grapefruit is a real winner. Add a caramelised brûlée topping and you’ve got a stylish dessert in super quick time.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
300g rhubarb, sliced
100g strawberries, cut in half (optional)
2 oranges or grapefruits
A few drops of vanilla extract
8 tsp white sugar to top each ramekin
- Zest the grapefruits or oranges, peel with a knife, slice the fruit horizontally remove the centre section and cut the slices into segments. Set to one side.
- Place the rhubarb, strawberries (if using), ½ tsp zest, vanilla extract and sugar into a pan and simmer on a low light for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Divide the rhubarb between 4 ramekins.
- Arrange the grapefruit segments to cover the rhubarb completely.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp of sugar onto the top of each ramekin and immediately place the ramekins under a hot grill until the sugar starts to melt and caramelise. This can also be done with a catering blow torch.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Recipe © The Vegetarian Society
Are you looking for a food photographer who shares your values? During National Vegetarian Week I’m offering a 20% discount for commissioned food photography. For meat-free recipe development, food styling and stunning food images get in touch… I’d love to hear from you.