Brûlée, Chava Eichner, dairy-free, dessert, grapefruit, National Vegetarian Week 2014, Rhubarb, strawberries, Vegan, Vegan Food photography, Vegetarian, Vegetarian food photography
Official Food Photographer 2013 and 2014
This blend of fresh summer strawberries, rhubarb and tangy grapefruit is a real winner. Add a caramelised brûlée topping and you’ve got a stylish dessert in super quick time.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
300g rhubarb, sliced
100g strawberries, cut in half (optional)
2 oranges or grapefruits
A few drops of vanilla extract
8 tsp white sugar to top each ramekin
- Zest the grapefruits or oranges, peel with a knife, slice the fruit horizontally remove the centre section and cut the slices into segments. Set to one side.
- Place the rhubarb, strawberries (if using), ½ tsp zest, vanilla extract and sugar into a pan and simmer on a low light for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Divide the rhubarb between 4 ramekins.
- Arrange the grapefruit segments to cover the rhubarb completely.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp of sugar onto the top of each ramekin and immediately place the ramekins under a hot grill until the sugar starts to melt and caramelise. This can also be done with a catering blow torch.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Recipe © The Vegetarian Society
Are you looking for a food photographer who shares your values? During National Vegetarian Week I’m offering a 20% discount for commissioned food photography. For meat-free recipe development, food styling and stunning food images get in touch… I’d love to hear from you.